Every food donation helps in the fight against hunger – no matter how small or large. Food for Others accepts donations of food at its Merrifield warehouse Monday through Friday, preferably between 2:00 pm- 5:00 pm or during normal operating hours, 9:30 am – 5:00 pm at loading dock 2.
There may be a short wait at the loading dock for those dropping off food. We appreciate your patience.
Most Needed Items
- Fresh fruits (oranges, apples, bananas, tomatoes, avocados, grapes, berries)
- Fresh vegetables (cucumbers, celery, peppers, lettuce, eggplant)
- Canned tomato products (crushed, peeled, diced, etc.), 4oz – 1 lb
- Canned meat (chicken, turkey, or seafood), 2oz – 15oz
- Rice, 16oz packages
- Spaghetti sauce, 14oz – 1 lb (ideally in cans instead of glass)
- Canned fruit (packed in fruit juice instead of syrup) 11oz – 20oz
- Dried or canned beans (black, kidney, pinto, etc.)
- Fruit juice (100% juice) 32oz – 64oz
- Non Food Items:
- New or Clean Reusable Grocery Bags 8 ½ x 14 x 15
- We are also happy to accept perishable items including meat and dairy products that are sealed, in their original packaging, and unexpired.
We are unable to accept donations of:
Items that are more than 3 years expired, opened items, food that is not labeled, homemade items, or cooked food.
You can also donate via our Amazon link here: Emergency Referral Wishlist
Volunteer time can be credited to your record if you donate food. When dropping off the donation, you must get a receipt in your name. Please email email@example.com with your name and date of donation. You will then be able to receive 1 minute of volunteer time for 1 lb. of food. For example, if you donate 94 lbs., you’ll be credited 94 minutes of volunteer time.
Donate to Our Power Pack Program (P3)
The Power Pack Program provides weekend meals packs to FCPS students experiencing food insecurity. It currently serves 45 schools.
To donate to P3, you can either donate completed packs or items that are P3-specific.
How to Build a Power Pack:
Use a 2 gallon size Ziploc Bag. Include items that are shelf-stable, kid-friendly and single-serving sized. Please do not include applesauce cups with tinfoil lids.
Each pack must include: 2 breakfast items, 2 lunch items, 2 dinner items, 2 snacks and 2 drinks.
What Items are In a Power Pack:
- Oatmeal Packets
- Cereal (Individual Sizes)
- Chili Cups
- Mac & Cheese Cups (single-serving)
- Tuna/ Chicken Salad Kits with Crackers
- Chef Boyardee, Ravioli
- Fruit Cups (in juice NOT syrup)
- Cheese & Crackers
- Granola Bars
- Fruit Snacks, Dried Fruits
- 100% Fruit Juice
- Capri Sun Juice Boxes
- Shelf-stable Milk
You can also donate via our Amazon link here: P3 Wishlist